What is sweat?
Sweat helps us to stay cool and regulate our body temperature.
What is sweating?
Sweat, also known as perspiration, is a normal and healthy bodily function.
Sweating starts to occur just a few months after birth and assists the body in keeping cool.
Why do people sweat?
We sweat mainly to cool our bodies down, a process called thermoregulation. Our brain sends signals to perspire, releasing a clear fluid from over 3 million sweat glands (or sudoriferous glands) and as this fluid evaporates from our skin, it lowers our body temperature to ensure that we don’t overheat.
There are many factors that can cause us to perspire:
- Hot environments,
- General movement and physical activities,
- Emotional feelings, including stress,
- Eating hot or spicy food,
- Side effects from medication or surgery,
- Illness, as our bodies fight infections or fevers,
- Hormonal changes such as menopause, pregnancy, menstruation or puberty.
On this site you’ll find lots of helpful information about how to stop sweat and how Shield can help with a range of antiperspirant deodorants suitable for men and women.
Sweating too much? Discover why people sweat